Sunday, April 10, 2011

Waiting

Thursday morning April 7, I woke up to the sight of snow on the ground.  The ten-day forecast showed nothing but rain.  Ten days prior to that, the forecast showed nothing but rain.  This year appears to be headed toward being one of the rainiest Springs on record for many decades.  I cross-train indoors and ride on a trainer, waiting for a break in the clouds, hoping I will be in good enough shape to ride 200 miles twelve weeks from now.

The same is true for the adoption process.  We were approved for adoption back in December of 2009.  Sixteen months later, we are still waiting and hoping for our second adopted child.  That is not to say there has not been any activity.  Far from it.

By our estimate, we have had approximately 40 mothers come through our lives, each with their own unique story.  In all of but three weeks, we have either been waiting on a mother to decide, or we have been wresting with our own decisions as to whether we want to be considered or not.

Three times we were picked.  Twice, the mothers changed their minds and backed out.  Once, I backed out, a decision that still haunts me.  It was a special needs childs whose needs were beyond what I thought we were capable of handling.

What I have found most difficult, and yet most rewarding is how waiting has shaped me.  In some instances, a child came through my life to shape an issue in my character that needed to be addressed.  The child I backed out on opened my eyes to an area of my life that needed fixing in order for me to move forward as a better person.  Other times, the mother simply chose another family, and that opportunity slipped away.

Today is one of those days where we have no solid prospects for a child.  It is quiet on the adoption front, and raining outside.  And here I sit, waiting... hopeful for a break in the clouds.

http://www.natpresch.org/mcb_devotionals/gp2001-01-07.php

No comments:

Post a Comment